Get Started on Google Business Profile
(Previously Google My Business)
Google Business Profile is a free and easy-to-use tool for businesses to manage their online presence across Google, including Search and Maps.
If you're just getting started with local SEO, your Google Business Profile listing is a great place to focus your early efforts. We strongly encourage advisors to “claim” their business on Google to ensure accurate information is being presented.
LET'S GET STARTED!
STEP 1: START A GOOGLE ACCOUNT
A Google-wide username and password that can be used to access various products, including Google Maps, Analytics, Gmail and GMB and YouTube.
Create a Google Account Sign In to Google Account
Use a Gmail account you have, or create one that you will not lose. This account is separate from Manulife. Do not use your Manulife Email Address, or name a new one with Manulife. No one will see this email, it is just for your organization or use.
Step 2: Set up Google Business Profile
- Visit https://www.google.com/business/
- In the top-right corner, click Sign in to your Google Account, or create one. Then, click Next.
- Enter your Business name to see if a listing exists already. If it does, select that listing to avoid duplicates. If not, click next.
- Fill out your category, and 5 questions about your business and location.
Follow these best practices for naming your listing
*** Do not use Financial Planner unless approved through Dealer
- Click “FINISH” to Finish and Verify your business.
Step 3: Verify your Business Listing
- Enter your physical mailing address to verify your location
- Add the “Contact Name” and confirm your mailing address
- Click the blue MAIL button on the right
- A postcard with your verification PIN code will be mailed to you in approximately 12 days
- NOTE: You can continue and still proceed to set up the details of your listing to prepare for your publishing, before your verification postcard arrives.
- Once you receive your verification postcard, return to https://google.com/business
- Sign in and click Verify location from the menu (or click the Verify now button)
- Follow the instructions to enter the verification code from your postcard.
* It may take a few weeks for your business information to appear across Google *
Best Practices for Google Business Profile
Tips for a Compliant Listing | Submitting for Compliance review
Follow these best practices for naming your listing to maximize search and stay compliant: Advisors are not permitted to hold out on Google My Business exclusively as Manulife Securities. Approved trade names for dealer business may be used. Below are examples for the approved formats for Dealer business names for Google My Business.
For the Individual Advisor listing name:
- ADVISOR NAME - Financial Advisor | Manulife Securities
- ADVISOR NAME | Manulife Securities
- ADVISOR NAME - REGISTERED TRADE NAME | Manulife Securities
For Business/Trade/Branch name listings:
- ABC Wealth Management | Manulife Securities
- ABC Wealth Management
Google has a list of categories to choose from which is updated by Google.
Financial advisors with Manulife Securities must choose from the below options*:
- Financial Advisor
- Financial Consultant
- Investment Service
- Investment Company
- Financial Planner – only to be used by Manulife Securities advisors approved for financial planning (to learn about being approved for financial planning contact AS_Financial_Planning@manulife.com)
- Insurance Agency – only to be used by Manulife Securities advisors with an approved outside business activity for insurance
- Life Insurance Agency - only to be used by Manulife Securities advisors with an approved outside business activity for insurance
- Tax Consultant - only to be used by Manulife Securities advisors with an approved outside business activity for tax preparation or accounting
*Google controls the categories and may make changes to the options. If there are new options available that you would like to use please discuss with Sales Communications.
Follow these tips to optimize your listing!
- Be meticulous with contact information - make sure your information is correct!
- Complete every section of your Google My Business account - Use your website content to ensure consistency and accuracy.
- Select primary and secondary categories
- Write a complete “from the business” description or Post.
- Make sure to add at least three images of your office, team or generic pictures. Pay attention to the images you upload. They need to be in a 720x720px box or Google will cut them off.
- Always answer questions, Like and respond to your reviews!
- Add your products and/or services, ensuring you are adhering to compliance rules
- Maintain your Business Profile
- Add the review form link to your website, and email signature
Images for Google My Business
YOUR GOOGLE REVIEW DIRECT LINK
Add GMB to your email signature in Outlook