HOW TO GET STARTED ON SOCIAL MEDIA
The SiteForward Program is currently a website support program. The Manulife Wealth Inc.' Dealership does not have a social media program implemented for our advisors yet, however our program can offer some best practices and guidance.
STEP 1: Create
Create your social media profile page of choice (LinkedIn Profile, Facebook business page, or Twitter account) (The buttons below can help guide you to the best support page.)
STEP 2: Build
Fill in your information, matching the registered information you have with Manulife. Add a professional image, any details you like and double check your work! TIP: Use approved content from your business card or your website as a guide.
STEP 3: Compliance
Once complete, email the links to your social profiles to Sales Communication Compliance team, who will work with you to get your profile's approved and on the Social Media Compliance tool - ProofPoint Social Patrol. Social media reviews and compliance is owned by Sales Communications, and not SiteForward.
As part of the SiteForward Program, our team can assist with the following:
Support for consistent branding to match your website
Update your website to display the links to your approved social media profiles
Share the blogs/articles from your website easily across your social platforms
Social Media strategy, best practices and ongoing webinars
Access to a large library of editable articles to share from your website, or to copy directly into your social platforms.
LinkedIn is designed for business and professional networking and offers a personal profile as well as a corporate business page to network in a business-to-business sense. LinkedIn is a must-have for a professional profile and is beneficial for attracting new employees, targeting group business and thought leadership. It is also helpful to indirectly boost your search results.
Facebook Business Page
Facebook is designed to connect family and friends on personal accounts and makes use of business pages for advertising and networking. It is more personable, meant for relationship building and staying connected to clients. Facebook best targets families, individuals and households. It is also where advisors should be more authentic and show who they are, rather than what they sell.
Twitter is a micro-blogging platform that allows users to broadcast their questions, ideas, and opinions to users live and follow others. It’s used for more timely communication, and frequent activity. It is not always recommended for every advisor, as it tends to involve a lot of attention. Best suited for broad audiences, and works well if you attend a lot of events, or host many seminars, community events or similar forms of entertainment.
Instagram is an entirely visual platform. Unlike Facebook, which relies on both text and pictures, or Twitter, which relies on text alone, Instagram's sole purpose is to enable users to share images or videos with their audience. Best suited for advisors who want to attract younger generations, millennials and influencers.
Where to find Social Media Content
SHARE do not Copy & Paste
Long gone are the days you could post other's content on your website or newsletters simply citing the author. These days, all content on the web should be shared from the original source, never copy and pasted into your tactics. Content is valuable - and this is copyright infringement.
- The original users will track, use analytics and metrics and get insights from the traffic generated by their posts. They do not get accurate numbers if you paste it on your sites.
- Copying others can lead to complications like being sued or fined, reputational damage or more.
Why should you share other's content?
- Provides valuable curated content to clients, they will respect you for this!
- Lead generation - gain exposure from others! If you share other people's content you encourage them to share yours and help expand your network.
- SEO boost: sharing content from other websites and authors can generate more engagement, responses and backlinks to your website
Those on SiteForward Program have the opportunity to use any of the articles from your ContentAssist platform to either share on Social Media from your website, or copy and paste in to the Social network of your choice directly. You can also take advantage of all this content, and take bits and pieces from any longform article to share across your social channels.
Social Media Etiquette Do’s:
- Make small steps to personalize social media post comments, replies, and messages. Write why you liked the shares content, or ask questions to stir up engagement.
- Try to use proper spelling and grammar to ensure the message is clear and easy to read.
- Always apologize for any mistakes made in a social media post. It’s okay to make mistakes, but it’s not okay to ignore them or act like they didn’t happen.
- Engage with comments on your posts. If someone took the time to comment on your social media post, return the favor and engage with them. Engagement is the whole point of being on social media.
- Include photos and videos - But make sure they are royalty free or you have permission to use them!
- Use hashtags and mentions in your social media posts. Just keep in mind that any hashtags or mentions you use need to be relevant to your post. And keep the number of hashtags to a minimum, 1-5 hashtags at most.
Social Media Etiquette Don’ts:
- Do not write messages ENTIRELY IN CAPITAL LETTERS. When a message is in all caps, most online social media users interpret that as yelling or screaming.
- Don't tell people to like your post or follow your page in your social media post.
- Avoid replying with the exact same message to all of your social media engagement. If someone likes, or make a comment on your post, try to like that post, or say thank you in different ways to be more genuine and authentic.
- Do not "buy" social media followers. This is pretty self-explanatory.
- Using social media posts to push your products or services on people. That’s not what social media is for.
- Do not engage in arguments, or controversy on any business posts!