Get Started on Google My Business
Google My Business is a free and easy-to-use tool for businesses to manage their online presence across Google, including Search and Maps. If you're just getting started with local SEO, your Google My Business listing is a great place to focus your early efforts. We strongly encourage advisors to “claim” their business on Google to ensure accurate information is being presented.
LET'S GET STARTED!
STEP 1: START A GOOGLE ACCOUNT
Use a Gmail account you have, or create one that you will not lose. This account is separate from Manulife. Do not use your Manulife Email Address, or name a new one with Manulife. No one will see this email, it is just for your organization or use.
Step 2: Set up Google My Business
- Visit https://www.google.com/business/
- In the top-right corner, click Sign in to your Google Account, or create one. Then, click Next.
- Enter your Business name to see if a listing exists already. If it does, select that listing to avoid duplicates. If not, click next.
- Fill out your category, and 5 questions about your business and location.
Follow these best practices for naming your listing
*** Do not use Financial Planner unless approved through Dealer
- Click “FINISH” to Finish and Verify your business.
Step 3: Verify your Business Listing
- Enter your physical mailing address to verify your location
- Add the “Contact Name” and confirm your mailing address
- Click the blue MAIL button on the right
- A postcard with your verification PIN code will be mailed to you in approximately 12 days
- NOTE: You can continue and still proceed to set up the details of your listing to prepare for your publishing once your verification card arrives.
- Once you receive your verification postcard, return to https://google.com/business
- Sign in and click Verify location from the menu (or click the Verify now button)
- Follow the instructions to enter the verification code from your postcard.
* It may take a few weeks for your business information to appear across Google *
Best Practices for Google My Business
Follow these best practices for naming your listing to maximize search and stay compliant: Advisors are not permitted to hold out on Google My Business exclusively as Manulife Securities. Approved trade names for dealer business may be used. Below are examples for the approved formats for Dealer business names for Google My Business.
For the Individual Advisor listing name:
- ADVISOR NAME - Financial Advisor | Manulife Securities
- ADVISOR NAME | Manulife Securities
- ADVISOR NAME - REGISTERED TRADE NAME | Manulife Securities
For Business/Trade/Branch name listings:
- ABC Wealth Management | Manulife Securities
- ABC Wealth Management
Google has a list of categories to choose from which is updated by Google.
Financial advisors with Manulife Securities must choose from the below options*:
- Financial Advisor
- Financial Consultant
- Investment Service
- Investment Company
- Financial Planner – only to be used by Manulife Securities advisors approved for financial planning (to learn about being approved for financial planning contact AS_Financial_Planning@manulife.com)
- Insurance Agency – only to be used by Manulife Securities advisors with an approved outside business activity for insurance
- Life Insurance Agency - only to be used by Manulife Securities advisors with an approved outside business activity for insurance
- Tax Consultant - only to be used by Manulife Securities advisors with an approved outside business activity for tax preparation or accounting
*Google controls the categories and may make changes to the options. If there are new options available that you would like to use please discuss with Sales Communications.
The Image above should be used for your "Logo" option, for best visibility.
Follow these tips to optimize your listing!
- Be meticulous with contact information - make sure your information is correct!
- Complete every section of your Google My Business account - Use your website content to ensure consistency and accuracy.
- Select primary and secondary categories
- Write a complete “from the business” description or Post.
- Make sure to add at least three images of your office, team or generic pictures. Pay attention to the images you upload. They need to be in a 720x720px box or Google will cut them off.
- Always answer questions, Like and respond to your reviews!
- Add your products and/or services, ensuring you are adhering to compliance rules
- Maintain your Business Profile
- Add the review form link to your website, and email signature
Like all Marketing and Sales materials, your Google my Business listing should be approved by Sales Communications Compliance team once completed. Because GMB is not connected to the compliance Proofpoint Social Patrol tool, this must be done manually.
Take screenshots of your full listing, including any posts or questions that have been added. Place these into a Word Document, or PDF and send to Sales Communications using the CAR form from Repsource. Include a link to the live profile as well.
- Any additional posts to your Google My Business listing or updates must also be sent to Compliance for approval.
- If you choose to create Google Paid Ads, you must have these pre-approved by Compliance by sending your ad and copy to them before publishing.
If you have questions about the policy requirements send them to email@example.com
Follow these tips below to ensure you are creating a listing that will get approved from compliance and represent your business correctly!
- Make sure the address and contact information you are using is what you have listed in your Manulife Dealership Registrations information. If your address or numbers have changed, be sure to report this to the Manulife Transitions team by emailing: MLS_transitionteam@manulife.ca
- Only use approved services and titles on your listing
- Do not detail out products or promotions, as these have a shelf-life and can change
- Do not write about Rates or Fees
- Make sure your Dealer name is written out in full: For MFDA: Manulife Securities Investment Services Inc. | For IIROC: Manulife Securities Incorporated | For Insurance MGA: Manulife Securities Insurance Inc.
- Do not choose or list Financial Planning unless you have been approved for this through the Dealer.
- If you are using a Trade or Business Name, be sure that your Trade name has been registered properly with the Dealer, and you are approved for use. If you are unsure, email firstname.lastname@example.org
How to claim a business that is already claimed
If a Google My Business listing has already been verified and you're authorized to manage the listing, you can request ownership from the current listing owner.
TO REQUEST OWNERSHIP OF A BUSINESS FROM THE CURRENT LISTING OWNER:
- Go to business.google.com/add
- Enter the name and address of your business, select it from the search results.
- Click Continue. You'll see a message indicating that someone else verified the listing. Otherwise, you can claim and verify the listing yourself.
- Click Request access and fill out the form.
- Click Submit. The current listing owner will have 7 days to respond. You can check the status of your request by signing in to Google My Business or clicking the link in your confirmation email
WHAT TO DO AFTER YOU'VE REQUESTED OWNERSHIP
- If your ownership request is approved, you'll be notified by email and will be able to manage the listing in Google My Business.
- If your ownership request is denied, you'll be notified by email and when you sign in to Google My Business. You can still suggest an edit to the listing or, in some cases, appeal the denied request.
- If you don't get a response after 7 days, you might have the option to claim the listing yourself. Just sign in to Google My Business and look for a Claim or Verify button on your dashboard. (If you don't see an option to claim the listing, that means it's not eligible to be transferred.)